Minerals - critically important if you wish to stay healthy
[UPDATED JUNE 2022]
You could argue that we all die ultimately from mineral and vitamin deficiencies. People who traditionally live to great ages are often found living in areas watered by streams from glaciers. Glaciers are lakes of ice which have spent the previous few thousand years crunching up rocks. Therefore the waters coming from the glaciers are very rich in minerals. This is used not just to drink but irrigate crops and bathe in.
Types of minerals and what a deficiency means
These people therefore had excellent levels of micronutrients. Given the right raw materials, things do not go wrong in the body and ageing is slow. So, having the right levels of minerals is an important tool for Disease prevention - see also Disease screening tests. So, for example, we have -
- Low magnesium and selenium is a risk factor for heart disease. See Magnesium - treating a deficiency and Magnesium test - whole blood
- Low selenium increases risk of cancer. Ask for a red cell selenium test if you are concerned. Or a Hair Mineral Analysis test can be useful here.
- Copper is necessary to make elastic tissue - deficiency causes weaknesses in arteries leading to anneurysms. Or a Hair Mineral Analysis test can be useful here.
- Low chromium increases risk of diabetes. A Hair Mineral Analysis test can be useful here.
- Good antioxidant status (vitamins A,C,E and selenium) slows the ageing process - you could try the Fat Soluble Vitamin profile test here
- Superoxide dismutase enzymes require zinc, copper and manganese to function. A Hair Mineral Analysis test can be useful here.
- Iodine is necessary to make thyroid hormones and is highly protective against breast disease. See Iodine
The immune system needs a huge range of minerals to work well, especially zinc, selenium, magnesium
- Boron is highly protective against arthritis
- Magnesium is required in at least 300 enzyme systems
- Zinc is needed for normal brain development, a deficiency at a critical stage of development causes dyslexia
- Any deficiency of selenium, zinc, copper, magnesium can cause infertility
- Iron prevents anaemia
- Molybdenum is necessary to detox sulphites
What to do
The secret of success is to copy Nature. Civilisation has brought great advantages, but at the same time is responsible for escalating death rates from cancer and heart disease. I want the best of both worlds. I like my warm kitchen, cool fridge, wood burning cooker, computer and telly. But I want to eat and live in the environment in which primitive man thrived.
I rarely test nowadays because I know that the vast majority of people will be deficient, and so why waste money?! Just go straight to the Basic Package of nutrients and take it from there -
- Disease prevention
- Nutritional Supplements - what everybody should be taking all the time even if nothing is wrong
- Magnesium - treating a deficiency
Sarah Myhill Limited :: Registered in England and Wales :: Registration No. 4545198
Registered Office: Upper Weston, Llangunllo, Knighton, Powys, Wales LD7 1SL, UK. Tel 01547 550331 | Fax 01547 550339