Lufenuron - a potentially useful treatment to treat candida
[UPDATED JUNE 2022]
I am always looking for new treatments for candida which, for many people, is a major problem. The first port of call, of course, is to do The Basics, namely -
- do a diet low in fermentable substrate
- correct nutritional deficiencies, (see Nutritional Supplements)
- take probiotics and, (see Probiotics - we should all be taking these all the time and double the dose following antibiotics and gastroenteritis)
- for some, avoid yeast in foods.
However, many people need specific antifungals, which can be herbal or prescribed medication. Because yeast infections are less common than bacterial infections, we have a wide range of antibiotics to choose from, but not such a wide range of antifungals. Lufenuron gives us another useful and effective systemic antifungal.
Lufenuron is much better known in the veterinary world as Program. It is used to treat parasite infections such as fleas. It works because it inhibits chitin production. Humans and, indeed, all mammals do not produce chitin and therefore the potential for side effects in humans is very small. Insects do need chitin to make a tough exoskeleton. Interestingly, so do yeasts and moulds – it is chitin in their cell wall that makes them so tough and difficult to kill.
Therefore, potentially Lufenuron can be used to kill yeasts and moulds and, indeed, this has been well demonstrated in the veterinary world. It is not metabolised or eliminated by the liver or kidneys, but excreted through the faeces and again this makes it remarkably non-toxic.
Lufenuron is very lipid soluble – this means it is taken over five days and loads up into fatty tissues from which it is slowly released over four to six weeks. This maintains tissue concentrations high enough to kill all yeast, including candida, for at least a month and possibly longer. One can get die-off reactions, but that is the case with any antifungal which is effective. This ebay seller (Ebay Lufenuron seller) sells lufenuron and there are other non-UK sites too from where you can obtain supplies.
I have had some happy feedback already from patients taking Lufenuron.
- Nutritional Supplements
- Probiotics - we should all be taking these all the time and double the dose following antibiotics and gastroenteritis
- Yeast problems and candida
- Ketogenic diet - the practical details
- "My book - Paleo-Ketogenic: The Why and The How"
- My Book "The Paleo Ketogenic Diet - this is a diet which we all should follow"
- The Paleo Ketogenic Diet - PK Bread
- The Paleo Ketogenic Diet - PK Dairy
- PK diet Macros etc
Sarah Myhill Limited :: Registered in England and Wales :: Registration No. 4545198
Registered Office: Upper Weston, Llangunllo, Knighton, Powys, Wales LD7 1SL, UK. Tel 01547 550331 | Fax 01547 550339