Diet of low fermentable substrate
Essentially this is the same as the Stone Age Diet - this is a diet which we all should follow but since it is carbohydrates and sugars which are easily fermented one has to be much more strict with these. Use oils to make up the calories – I know many people instinctively rebel against this idea, but oils are delicious. Very easy, no special preparation, can be poured ad lib on meals or eaten off the spoon. I do! I love the taste of olive oil, sesame, rape seed oil, nut oils and so on! Coconut oil may be additionally beneficial for the foggy brain. See Brain fog - poor memory, difficulty thinking clearly etc
- Any meats: choose from chicken, beef, lamb, pork, turkey, duck, 'game' meats such as venison, pheasant, goose etc. Bacon and ham. Salami. Liver, kidney and offal are fine too.
- Eggs - an excellent source of lecithin (eat soft yolks).
- Any fish: salmon, mackerel, cod, haddock (care with smoked fish which often contains dyes). Tinned fish in brine or olive oil is fine. Tinned shrimps, prawns, mussels, cockles etc.
- All green vegetables.
- All salads: avocado, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, celery, peppers, onion, cress, bamboo shoots etc.
French dressing: make your own from olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, mustard.
- The only permissible fruit are berries.
- Seeds: sunflower, poppy, sesame.
- Nuts: peanut, brazil, hazel, cashew, pistachio, walnut etc.; nut butter spreads, tahini (sesame seed spread).
- Use cold pressed nut and seed oils liberally such as sunflower, olive, sesame, grapeseed, hemp. linseed, rape and so on.
- Soya products
- Spices and herbs: chilli, cumin, ginger, coriander, pepper, cloves etc
- Herbs, salt (ideally Solo - a sodium reduced sea salt), olives, pork scratchings
- Bottled or filtered water
- Herbal teas: redbush ("rooibosch", "11 0'clock tea"), rosehip tea.
- Root vegetables - carrots, parsnip, turnip, celeriac (but not too much!)
- Pulses: lentil, butter beans, chick peas, flagolets etc
- Mixture of nuts, seeds as snacks. Roasted or salted fine.
- Arrowroot flour: for thickening gravies
Always remember: breakfast like an emperor, lunch like a king and supper like a pauper!
More often I now prescribe the ketogenic diet - please see Ketogenic diet - the practical details and My book The PK Cookbook - Go Paleo-ketogenic and get the best of both worlds.
Sarah Myhill Limited :: Registered in England and Wales :: Registration No. 4545198
Registered Office: Upper Weston, Llangunllo, Knighton, Powys, Wales LD7 1SL, UK. Tel 01547 550331 | Fax 01547 550339