When not to use it
This website should NOT be used when time is of the essence
The risk of this website is that it could be misused, with diagnoses missed and time wasted. This is obviously critical in the diagnosis of cancer. Therefore, you should consult your doctor if you have:
New symptoms which are not resolving
and/or are getting progressively worse such as:
- malaise (feeling ill),
- unexplained weight loss,
- loss of appetite,
- failure to grow (in a child),
- generalised weakness,
- new lumps anywhere in the body,
- complete or partial loss of a sense (sight, hearing, taste, smell, sensation),
- complete or partial loss of use of muscles (hands, feet, limbs, trunk, face, eye movements),
- difficulty breathing,
- recurrent fevers or sweating,
- pain in the tummy,
- a change in your normal bowel habit not accounted for by a change in diet,
- a change in the way you normally pass urine,
- abnormal discharges from any orifice (e.g. vaginal bleeding between periods, vaginal bleeding after the menopause, blood in the urine or stool),
- coughed up blood,
- changing voice or hoarseness,
- palpitations and so on.
IT IS YOUR JOB TO USE THIS SITE RESPONSIBLY.
REMEMBER that tests ask a specific question and give a specific answer. Just because the tests are negative does not mean all is well. Progressive symptoms should be aggressively investigated by tests which are obviously beyond the scope of this website, such as X-rays, ECGs, ultrasound, endoscopy, biopsies, exploratory surgery and so on.