Nutritional Supplements - what everybody should be taking all the time even if nothing is wrong
I believe that if you wish to stay healthy, or recover from almost any illness, then taking nutritional supplements is essential. My reasons are given in Nutritional supplements - why we all need them. I call this my Basic Package - you can read much more about this in my book "Sustainable Medicine". The Basic Package can be seen in more detail on my online shop. Please see - Sustainable Medicine and Basic Package to buy both my book and the Basic Package.
I believe we should all take the following daily:
- BioCare multivitamin/mineral one daily (this contains B vitamins which can cause insomnia, so don't take in the evening). Contains vit A 2,000 i.u, B1 25mg, B2 25mgs, B3 50mgs, B5 100mgs, B6 as its active form pyridoxal-5-phosphate 25mgs, B12 30mcg, inositol 12mgs, PABA 10mgs, folic acid 400mcg, vitamin C (as magnesium ascorbate) 240mg, Vit D2 250i.u, Vit E 75i.u.(50mg), biotin 35mcg. Also zinc 8.5mg, manganese 300mcg, chromium 50mcg, iodine 37.8mcg, selenium 50mcg, molybdenum 98.7mcg, magnesium 22mg, calcium 6mg, potassium 8.9mg
- Essential fatty acids - ideally these omega 6 and omega 3 fatty acids should be taken in the ratio 4:1. This ratio is present in hemp oil - so use this for cooking, or simply take a dessert spoonful daily. For my CFS patients I add in VegEPA 2-4 capsules daily.
- Vitamin C last thing at night such as ascorbic acid 2-4 grams. If this is not tolerated the use BioCare Vitamin C 500 (as magnesium ascorbate)4-8 capsules.
Throughout the day
Drink the physiological Multi Mineral Mix (MMM)
This is a mix of minerals which you make up in water or fruit juice, all essential for human metabolism and increasingly lacking in modern food supplies. It contains minerals in the correct proportion for human requirements. The amounts given below are elemental weights of the pure mineral. These amounts are those considered desirable from modern nutrition research and are mostly above the "Recommended Daily Amount" (RDA). These RDA amounts were set down in 1941 and are now outdated. If better preparations come available or I learn more about essential minerals, then the composition of MMs may change. The new formulation of MMM contains B12 1mg per gram and vitamin D 1,000iu per gram.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE - My mineral mix (MMM) should NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) - a potentially dangerous product. Food Standards Agency has issued an urgent warning not to consume MMS.
Per ONE gram of MMM
- Calcium (as calcium chloride) — 60 mgs
- Magnesium (as magnesium chloride) — 70 mgs
- Potassium (as potassium chloride) — 40 mgs
- Zinc (as zinc chloride) — 6 mgs
- Iron (as ferric ammonium chloride) — 3 mgs
- Boron (as sodium borate) — 2 mgs
- Iodine (as potassium iodate) — 0.3 mg
- Copper (as copper sulphate) — 0.2 mg
- Manganese (as manganese chloride) — 0.2 mgs
- Molybdenum (as sodium molybdate) — 40 mcg
- Selenium (as sodium selenate) — 40 mcg
- Chromium (as chromium chloride) 40 mcg
- Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) — 1,000 mcg
- Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol) — 1,000iu
The daily dose of MMM is one gram (one blue scoop) per two stone of body weight (12.5 kg) to a maximum of 5 grams (five scoops) per day. The daily dose should be dissolved in cold water - half a pint of water per 1 g of the mix (the maximum dose made up in 3 pints of water) and taken throughout the day. Start off with just half a pint of mix daily and build up slowly to allow your stomach to adjust to the changes; otherwise it may cause nausea and loose bowel movements. You can use with ascorbic acid to optimise absorption With fresh lemon juice this is palatable. It also makes one drink water; this is something many people forget to do! MMM is suitable for all age groups including babies and pregnant women. The dose is not critical as there is a very wide margin of safety for all essential minerals!
The above dosing assumes one gets nothing from diet. As diet and gut function improves the dose may be reduced. Most people end up taking 2-3 grams a day for maintenance.
The mix is 100% active ingredients with no additives, colourings, flavourings or any such excipients. The formula is completely stable and will last for many years. Keep the lid tightly screwed on to the jar; otherwise moisture from the air may be absorbed and the minerals change colour. This does not matter, but the contents may go hard or discolour slightly!
MMM is supplied in 405 g pots - sufficient for 80 days for someone of 9 stone or more. You can purchase your MMM's here: Buy MMM's
What appears to be very helpful where there are gut problems such as a fermenting gut, or when you just find the taste too awful are transdermal MMM which are applied by spraying once a day onto clean unperfumed skin. I have also tried MMM as a cream rubbed onto the skin. This is very easy to do - see Minerals and vitamins in creams. Simply take your daily dose, mix it with a cream and apply after your daily wash.
Sunshine is necessary to make vitamin D. Vitamin D deficiency is extremely common and partly responsible for our epidemics of immune disorders (allergy and autoimmunity), osteoporosis, cancer and heart disease! Vitamin D is extremely safe and I now include it in the MMM at the rate of 1,000iu per gram. So the maximum daily dose of 5 grams MMM gives 5,000iu of vitamin D3. Sunshine is the best way to increase vitamin D levels. Thirty minutes of good sunshine on skin exposed by swimming costumes will give us about 5,000iu of D3. It is impossible to get adequate vitamin D from sunshine in UK, hence the need to supplement.
If you are not eating processed foods, then you will need some salt. Use sea salt, which also contains very rare trace elements which are also likely to be essential for normal metabolism. I suggest 1/4 tsp daily on food.
Use the amounts of nutrients in the above preparations as a guide in putting together your own nutritional regime based on good quality multivitamin and multimineral preparations, essential fatty acids and vitamins C and D available to you.
Compliance with the law
The law of the land is that nutritional supplements are not necessary for anyone eating a balanced diet. Of course this begs the question as to what is a balanced diet? By definition a balanced diet is one that supplies all the necessary macro and micronutrients in adequate amounts for optimum health. The problem is that Western diets do not deliver and so by definition are not balanced. Indeed during 30 years of nutritional practice I have yet to see normal levels of micronutrients in a healthy person eating a Western diet! That is why I came to the view that the above approach is necessary.
All the above nutritional supplements are available to buy through my online shop Sales at Dr Myhill.
- Nutritional supplements - why we all need them
- Minerals and vitamins in creams
- Disease prevention
- Brain fog
*Sales at Dr Myhill stocks all the above nutritional supplements, which form the basic nutritional package, as well as products supporting mitochondrial, adrenal or thyroid function, digestive function, brain function and more.
Sarah Myhill Limited :: Registered in England and Wales :: Registration No. 4545198
Registered Office: Upper Weston, Llangunllo, Knighton, Powys, Wales LD7 1SL, UK. Tel 01547 550331 | Fax 01547 550339