Microbial ecology profile
|Test Details for Ordering|
|Test||Microbial ecology profile|
|To order this test, please, go to Ordering Tests. |
Please, make sure you have read When not to use this website to ascertain whether having this test is an appropriate and safe course of action for you.
The stomach, duodenum and small intestine should be free from micro-organisms (bacteria, yeast and parasites – hereafter called bugs!). In the large bowel, on the other hand, we have huge numbers of bugs. Foods that cannot be digested upstream are fermented in the large bowel to produce many substances highly beneficial to the body. This also generates heat to help keep us warm. While the human body is made up of 10 million million cells, in our gut we have 100 million million bugs or more, i.e. ten times as many! Bugs make up 60% of dry stool weight, there are over 500 different species, but 99% of bugs are from 30-40 species. All is well when these bugs are the beneficial ones, but things can go wrong when pathogenic organisms set up camp in the large bowel.
In this test Genova Diagnostics lab can measure the amount of different bacteria, both beneficial and pathogenic, in a stool sample.
This test is performed on a stool sample.
The kit will be posted to you from Genova Diagnostics UK. Included with the kit will also be clear instructions on how to collect the sample and prepare it for transport.
- Collect the sample following the instructions enclosed with the test kit
- Make sure that your details are correct on the sample tube.
- Check that all the details are correct on the request form.
- Package the sample and post to Genova in the envelope provided. Make sure that the request form is included with the sample.
- Please, note that there is an interpretation fee for my letter to your GP. See Ordering Tests for more details.