DHEA (saliva) single
|Test Details for Ordering|
|Test||DHEA (saliva) single|
|To order this test, please, go to Ordering Tests. |
Please, make sure you have read When not to use this website to ascertain whether having this test is an appropriate and safe course of action for you.
There is no need to use a courier service if returning samples to the laboratory within the UK - simply use Royal Mail 1st class service or Next Day Guaranteed delivery. However, if you wish you can use the service offered by Genova Diagnostics, called Streetwise courier service. The test kit will have details of that service and the paperwork. Genova Diagnostics will charge you for this service. Current Streetwise delivery fee payable to Genova Diagnostics is £12.
I usually check salivary DHEA levels in patients with fatigue syndromes who are not responding to my normal work up. It is done as part of the Adrenal stress profile - salivary with saliva samples collected over 24 hour. The result also includes salivary cortisol levels.
This single sample test is used to check the level of DHEA in a patient who is on a course of pregnenolone supplementation. Please see Common Hormonal Problems in CFS - Adrenal
This test is performed on a single saliva sample taken at 8 am.
The kit for this test includes one collection tube, packaging materials for transporting the sample(s) in the post, a request form and a pre-paid envelope for sending the sample to the laboratory.
- Collect the saliva sample following the instructions enclosed with the test kit.
- Make sure that your name, date of birth and time and date of the sample are correct on the tubes
- Make sure all the necessary details are correct on the request form.
- Post the sample using 1st class Royal Mail service in the packaging materials provided, making sure that the laboratory request form is sent along with the sample. There is no need to use a courier service if sending samples within the UK.
- Please, note that there is an interpretation fee for my letter to your GP. See Ordering Tests for more details.