Antioxidant status profile
|Test Details for Ordering|
|Test||Antioxidant status profile|
|To order this test, please, go to Ordering Tests. |
Please, make sure you have read When not to use this website to ascertain whether having this test is an appropriate and safe course of action for you.
Please, note that all the tests in this profile are also part of the Mitochondrial function profile. There is no need to order the Antioxidant status profile if you are having the Mitochondrial function profile.
This profile measures levels of the front line antioxidant molecules in cells and mitochondria, i.e. Co-enzyme Q10, red cell glutathione and two enzymes: superoxide dismutase (SODase) and glutathione peroxidase.
Co-enzyme Q10 is the most important antioxidant inside mitochondria and also a vital molecule in oxidative phosphorylation (energy production in cells). A deficiency of Co Q10 can be corrected with supplementation.
Superoxide dismutase (SODase) is the most important superoxide (free radical) scavenger in muscles. Deficiency can explain muscle pain and easy fatigue-ability in some patients. SODase is dependent on correct levels of copper, manganese and zinc and therefore checking levels gives clear indications for supplementation with appropriate doses of these minerals.
Glutathione peroxidase requires glutathione and selenium for its synthesis. Again, as a functional test of these two important antioxidants, the glutathione peroxidase result gives indications for addressing deficiencies of these two nutrients.
This test is performed on blood samples
green topped heparin blood tube - for the Acumen test
gold topped SST tube - for the Biolab test
lab request forms, stamped envelopes addressed to two labs, appropriate packaging
- Make arrangements to have a blood sample taken
- Make sure that your name, date of birth and date sample taken are correctly entered on the blood tubes
- Make sure all the necessary details are correct on the laboratory request forms.
- Post the samples in the packaging provided making sure that the laboratory request form is enclosed with the samples.
- Do not post the sample on a Friday.
- Please, note that there is an interpretation fee for my letter to your GP. See Ordering Tests for more details.