|Test Details for Ordering|
|To order this test, please, go to Ordering Tests. |
Please, make sure you have read When not to use this website to ascertain whether having this test is an appropriate and safe course of action for you.
This test measures the level of the enzyme amylase in the blood serum. This enzyme is specific to the pancreas and raised levels suggest damage to the pancreas as in acute and chronic pancreatitis. I would usually do this test along with liver function tests. Another useful test for the pancreas is faecal elastase.
Pancreatitis can be caused by excessive alcohol, gall stones, cancer or antioxidant deficiency. Another useful test to diagnose pancreatitis is stool elastase levels.
This test is performed on a blood sample.
The kit for this test consists of a serum blood tube (gold top), a plastic blood tube carrier and a plastic bag for sealing the sample, a request form and a pre-paid envelope for sending the sample to the laboratory.
- Make arrangements to have a blood sample taken
- Make sure that your name and date of birth are correct on the blood tube
- Make sure all the necessary details are correct on the laboratory request form.
- Post the samples in the packaging provided making sure that the laboratory request form is enclosed with the samples.
- Please, note that there is an interpretation fee for my letter to your GP. See Ordering Tests for more details.